YWe love keeping it as natural as possible in my household – from foods to beauty products to household cleaners – the more natural the better! In fact, I like to follow the ‘If I can’t eat, I won’t put it on my body/breathe it in/touch it‘ rule. And when it comes to multi-purpose natural products, bentonite clay is a first place getter for us! We use it as face masks (it leaves our skin sooo soft!), in our detox baths and it is even a key ingredient in my natural tooth whitening powder, Black Magic (available here: www.mimfit.net/black-magic )
ou might be surprised to discover that something as simple as clay is great for cleansing and healing the body. It has many benefits when taken internally (by drinking or eating) and when applied externally to the skin.
What Is It?
Bentonite clay is formed from volcanic ash and is mined from the earth. It has a strong negative electromagnetic charge, and when activated by water, acts like a magnet in and on our bodies, pulling metals and toxins to it.
People all around the world have used Bentonite Clay, also known as Montmorillonite clay, for hundreds of years to detoxify their bodies and help ward off illness. It’s also a fantastic way to boost your intake of essential vitamins and nutrients.
The clay was originally discovered in a region of France called Montmorillon, which is how it got its name. Bentonite clay is simply a ‘trade name’ that it has been given.
Bentonite Clay is now known as a trusted, effective and inexpensive product that can be added to almost any detox program. It requires no modern processing and is readily available.
How Does it Work?
Benotine Clay is well known for its ability to draw toxins out of the body. This is great news for anyone who eats, breathes and drinks! Most of you know my stance on toxins: ‘STAY AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE!’
This is far easier said than done as every day we come into contact with many common products that expose us to toxins. Plastic, paint, unpurified water, processed or inorganic foods, carpet, electrical goods, fumes from traffic, pesticides … and the list goes on.
And then there are your ‘heavy metal toxins’, which include mercury, lead, cadmium and benzene. These can be found in certain foods and fish.
Bentonite Clay is FABULOUS for helping to draw these toxins out of your body and is often used as part of heavy metal detox programs. It is great for boosting immunity and reducing inflammation.
Bentonite Clay is also known to have an abundance of minerals including potassium, copper, calcium, magnesium, silica, iron and sodium. When we take the clay internally, the vitamins and minerals are absorbed similarly to how supplements are. It is for this reason that some people actually use the clay as a supplement – it is a great source of dietary nutrients. The energy of clay stimulates the revitalization and rebuilding of damaged cells and tissues.
Something that I find fascinating about the clay is its ability to ‘seek out’ toxins in the body. It then binds with them to help remove them from the body. This is one of the reasons I chose to add Bentonite Clay to my Black Magic by MiMFiT tooth whitening paste and powder.
The way it does this is through its ability to produce a charge that is electrical in nature when it comes into contact with liquid. When the clay touches any type of liquid (like water), it takes on a different charge and is thought to bind with the toxins in the fluid.
Bentonite clay absorbs the liquids it comes into contact with and expands to extract the toxins from the liquid.
When handling the clay, it’s important not to use metal. Metal spoons and bowls will react with the clay reducing most of its healing properties.
9 USES for BENTONITE CLAY
- DETOX BATH. Add ½ – 1 cup of clay to your bath and soak the toxins right out of your body! Soft, smooth and hydrated skin is the result of zero hard work at all. Add a few drops of your favourite essential oil for extra benefits and ‘atmosphere’. Winning!
- MOUTH DETOX. Use as a toothpaste or part of a toothpaste like I’ve done in Black Magic by MiMFiT! Draw those toxins right out of your mouth before you swallow them!
- ALKALIZER: Add it to a smoothie to help alkalize the body. Generally the more acidic you are, the unhealthier you are and the harder your stomach needs to work. Add 1 tsp. to your smoothies or just mix it in with some water.
- PROBIOTIC BOOSTER. Bentonite clay helps to boost the healthy bacteria in your gut as it removes toxins, chemicals and heavy metals. It also helps to decrease the amount of ‘bad bacteria’.
- FACE MASK. Mix with a little water, relax and feel the tingling sensations as the clay softens, smooth’s, hydrates and draws all the toxins out of your face. My daughter and I do this twice a week. It leaves my face bright red (but not painful) for about half an hour after, but not Charli’s! Everyone reacts differently. Feel free to add extras like essential oil, honey, coconut oil, turmeric etc. for extra benefits. Leave on for 10-15 minutes until it goes all tight and cracks. Rinse off with a warm face washer.
- SETTLES AN UPSET TUMMY. The clay is actually fantastic at absorbing harmful viruses that cause things such as diarrhea and nausea. It works wonders with humans and pets. Simply mix about ¼ cup into water, drink it down and see how quickly you (or your pet) start to feel better.
- POST WORKOUT SUPPLEMENT. As the clay is brilliant at getting more oxygen into the cells, it leaves you feeling more energized and helps you (and your muscles) recover more quickly from a workout.
- SKIN HEALER. Apply directly to the skin to help heal Eczema, Dermatitis and Psoriasis.
- DEODERANT: Mix it with other naturally deodorising ingredients like diatomaceous earth (which I also take every morning!), arrowroot powder, apple cider vinegar, bi-carb, witch hazel and scent with your favourite essential oils. Together they can reduce bacteria and eliminate odour.
- DETOX from HEAVY METAL POISONING and RADIATION BUILDUP
Before you purchase, be sure to look into the quality and standards of the clay and the company who is selling/making the clay. I purchase mine from here: http://healingclay.com.au/edible-bentonite-clay