This is a simple and delicious low carb version of cottage pie – sort of. Feel free to use the ‘traditional’ veggies – fresh carrots, celery and beef or pork mince. Have a play – use whatever is llying around! Taste as you go and modify accordinly. For me? Frozen veggies, a jar of whatever and tinned onions make this fast and yum! I like to make this ahead of time and take it camping with us – it’s simple to turn the oven on and throw it in while hanging out with our friends..
I like to make this ahead of time and take it camping with us – it’s simple to turn the oven on and throw it in while hanging out with our friends – the less food prep while we are away the better! 🙂
What variations will you try? 🙂
* 1 kg ground beef (full fat)
* 4-6 rashers streaky bacon (omit for vegetarian)
* Whatever veg you have lying around (I used ½ a bag of frozen stir fry veggies)
* 2 large onions, sliced (optional)
* 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
* 1 ½ tsp. pink salt
* 1 1/2 tsp. black pepper
* 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
* 2 bags frozen cauliflower
* 4 Tbsp. double cream (coconut cream for dairy-free)
* 1 cup mozzarella, grated (omit for dairy-free)
* 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter (omit for dairy-free)
* 1-2 tsp. pink salt
* 1 tsp. black pepper
* A few good shakes of garlic powder
* 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast flakes
* 1 cup tasty cheese, grated extra for top (omit for dairy-free)
1. Preheat the oven to 180.
2. Preheat a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
3. Place frozen cauliflower in steamer and steam while continuing.
4. Add mince and bacon to frying pan and start to brown.
5. Add diced onion (optional)
6. Throw the frozen veggies in (or whatever veg you are using) and cook until thawed out.
7. Drain fat/water.
8. Add salt, pepper and tomato paste (or whatever ‘sauce’ you are using).
9. Mix well and allow to cook and ‘blend’. I like to leave it for a while so the liquid evaporates.
10. Meanwhile, mash the cauliflower by hand or add it to a food processor.
11. Add all ingredients and blend well. Taste and season accordingly.
12. Pour meat mixture into one or two large baking dishes.
13. Top with cauliflower mash and grated cheese.
14. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
NOTE: you can also prepare this and cook it later. It’s freezes just fine!
You could also add your favourite jar of low carb simmer sauce to the meat mixture.
I also add a few tins of Spanish sautéed onions.