Today is el Cinco de Mayo … and that means MEXICAN FOOD! My absolute favourite.
This recipe is the result of my recent diagnosis of being ‘allergic to eggs’ (OK, so it wasn’t so ‘recent’ but I’ve only just decided to ‘do the right thing’ and stop eating what is making my immune system very, very angry!)
It is a variation of the extremely popular ‘Fathead Pizza’ which has been a staple in this house for years! I am really excited and relieved that there is an alternative – and that it tastes just as delicious.
This is the pastry recipe. Fill it with whatever amazing things that your corazon desires.
Feliz Cinco de Mayo!
- 250 grated mozzarella (full fat)
- 2 Tbsp cream cheese (full fat)
- 1/3 cup almond flour (the lighter coloured one)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp psyllium husk powder
- Whatever filling you will be using (taco mince, pulled beef, pulled pork etc)
- Place mozzarella in microwave bowl and microwave for 1 – 1 1/2 mins or until melted.
- Let cheese cool slightly, then mix in the other ingredients.
- Knead well with your (wet) hands.
- Form dough into a ball and then place on a non-stick baking sheet (or a chopping board lined with baking paper).
- Place some baking paper on top of the dough and then roll out as flat as you can.
- Cut dough into about 8 circles. You might only cut 4 or 5 from the first roll. If needed, pick up the excess and smoosh back together, microwaving for 30 seconds to soften if necessary. Re-roll and cut the remaining circles.
- Place on baking tray lined with a baking sheet or baking paper.
- Place a small scoop of filling to one side and then fold dough to enclose the filling.
- Press down the edges with a fork to seal. Flip and press down on the other side as well.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with guacamole, sour cream and whatever other goodies you feel like adding 🙂