It’s low carb, gluten free, grain free, sugar free, mostly dairy free (aside from the butter) and it’s delish!
- 375g fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup xylitol or other granulated sweetener
- 4 eggs large (I use duck eggs, but large chicken eggs are fine)
- 1 cup almond flour/meal (the lighter coloured one)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup double cream, or whipped cream, sweetened, if you like
- OPTIONAL – dash of cinnamon or mixed spice
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Line the base of a greased baking dish with the strawberry slices
- In medium bowl, beat butter and xylitol with electric beaters until fluffy.
- Add eggs and mix until just combined, it will look curdled.
- Add almond flour and vanilla (and cinnamon/spice if using) and beat gently until combined.
- Spread ½ mixture over strawberries.
- Lay the rest of the strawberries on the mixture and spread the other half of the mixture on top of berries.
- Bake at 180c for 30 minutes or so, until topping is golden brown.
- Let stand a few minutes to cool slightly, then serve warm topped with whipped cream, whipped coconut cream or custard.