When you open the fridge and realise those beautiful strawberries you bought a few days ago are waaaay over the back and starting to go soft ….you get creative! In this case, I tried to come up with a strawberry tea-cake … and I think the result was pretty good! Try it and let me know what you think 🙂
- 250g almond flour/meal
- 50g butter
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- Sweetener to taste (I used a few scoops of Nirvana Organic Stevia)
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup strawberries, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius and prepare your cake tin (line with baking paper)
- Place butter in the TM bowl and cook on Varoma heat at speed 2 for about 3 minutes (check to make sure it’s melting).
- Add almond flour, sweetener, half of the strawberries, vanilla, salt, baking soda and eggs and mix on speed 5 for 10 seconds. Scrape down the side of the bowl and taste test – add more sweetener if necessary and then mix for a further 10-15 seconds.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and place the rest of the strawberries on top (partially pressed under the batter).
- Bake for about 35 minutes until the cake is brown and a skewer comes out clean. It will start to pull away from the sides of the tin.
- Place on cooling rack to cool.
- Tastes delicious warm served with cold custard 🙂
- Add honey or rice malt syrup to sweeten (will taste fantastic but will bump the carb levels up)
- Add some desiccated coconut
- Add chocolate chips
- Use a different type of fruit
- Use coconut oil instead of butter for a dairy-free cake