Choc Mint Ice Cream Serves 8-10
This is a family favourite in our household! Simple and delicious.
- 600 ml pure pouring cream
- 4 egg yolks (from pasteurised eggs if they aren’t free range/organic) See below.
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- Raw honey to taste (I like the taste of honey… but you could use stevia if reducing carbs or even rice malt syrup.
- Peppermint Essential Oil (to taste)
- Dark Chocolate chips
- Natural Green Food Colouring (optional)
- Using electric beaters, whip cream until almost stiff (but not quite)
- Beat in one egg yolk at a time.
- Add vanilla, essential oil, food colouring and honey/sweetener.
- Beat until fluffy.
- Stir in chocolate chips )I just give mine a quick 1 or 2 bursts with the beaters.
- Pour into a container and freeze.
- OPTION – Remove after about an hour or so and give it a bit of a stir. You can continue to do this as it is freezing, or skip this step.
You can also pour it into single serve containers if you like.
- Tip – let it soften in fridge before serving (that’s for us in the warmer climates like QLD! For those of you further South, you might just leave it on the bench).
How to Pasteurize Eggs
- Fill a saucepan with water and place the eggs inside.
- If using a digital thermometer, fit onto the pan (follow manufacturer’s instructions) I use a long glass one (not digital).
- Turn the heat to low. When the water temperature reaches 15° C – 60° C, use a timer to time 3 minutes.
- During this time, do not allow the water to become hotter than this.
- Remove the pan from the heat for a few seconds if it starts to get too hot. Keep an eye on the thermometer to maintain a steady temperature.
- Take the eggs out of the pan and put them in a bowl full of very cold water.
- Make sure they’re thoroughly cool before storing. Store in the fridge.
These instructions are suitable for eggs up to size large. For XL eggs, cook 5 minutes.