These are delicious, and easy .. oh so very very easy. Did I mention they are easy? I mean, I had to make my own activated, slivered almonds, and it was still easy!
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup almond flakes
- Stevia to taste (I use 2 scoops of Nirvana Organics)
- 2 Tbsp. Rice malt syrup (optional, but really adds flavour)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 tsp. guar gum (or xanthan gum if you prefer)
- 60g unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp. bicarb soda
- 1 Tbsp. boiling water
1. Preheat oven to a moderate 140C (fan forced)
2. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
3. Heat a small saucepan over medium heat and melt butter (and rice malt syrup if using).
4. In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients together except the bicarb soda.
5. In a separate bowl, dissolve the bicarb with boiling water and add to butter mixture. Add vanilla and stir until completely mixed in. Remove from heat.
6. Combine butter mixture with dry mixture. It will be quite ‘wet’ – this is OK 🙂
7. Wet your hands and roll mixture into balls and place onto the baking tray. Press down slightly with fork to flatten.
8. Bake in oven for about 15 minutes.
9. Cool on trays for 5 minutes then place on wire rack to cool completely.
TIP: To make your own slivered almonds, simply place your activated almonds into your blend with the slice blade attached and set to the thinnest setting possible.
To activate your almonds, soak them in salt water for at least 12 hours and then dehydrate (I use a dehydrator) for about 24 hours, or until nice and crispy.