This dish came about this afternoon when I came home from an epic Zumba class to find that my freezer had been left open! I now have semi-defrosted sausages, salmon fillets, lamb chops, pork chops, calamari and chicken thighs. So … after the initial panic and drama of cleaning up the water and chicken broth covered laundry floor (don’t ask!) ….I started planning.
I put the pork chops aside in a marinade for dinner, cooked up the sausages and popped them in the fridge for my daughter Charli’s lunches, ate the calamari for lunch, put the lamb chops in the fridge for lunch tomorrow, put the salmon fillets in the fridge for breakfast tomorrow and whipped up this amazing meal with the chicken thighs. My only problem? These chicken thighs smell waaayyy to good to put in the fridge for tomorrow night’s dinner – I want them TONIGHT! Argh. Oh well …. the pork chops must be eaten! Haha ….
I’ve taste tested and this is scrumptions! I’m sure you noticed that we use honey in this recipe. So naturally it’s going to be higher in carbs. You can replace the honey with rice malt syrup (or go half/half) to reduce the fructose component, but by doing this you will also reduce the nutrients in the dish.
Honey has some amazing properties that rms simply doesnt have. If you are keeping your carb intake really low, you might want to avoid this dish, or eat less of the sauce. For those of us in maintenance or on a higher intake, I’d love for you to try this and let me know what you think!
- 500g. boneless, skinless chicken thighs/breasts
- Butter/oil/lard for frying
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- ½ tsp ginger, minced or powder
- 4 Tbsp. raw honey (or rms)
- 2 Tbsp. Coconut aminos
1. Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Dry the chicken with paper towels.
3. Heat a frying pan over medium high heat and sear the chicken in some oil/lard/butter.
4. Reduce heat to medium after searing the first side
5. Cook on both sides until browned abd add sauce.
6. Reduce heat to medium-low and bring to a gentle simmer until sauce is reduced.
7. Turn the chicken to cover well with the sauce.
8. Remove and serve with chosen sides.