LCHF Mayonnaise Makes: 150g
- 1 large pasteurized egg (see below)
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice (optional))
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard (optional) or 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic crushed (optional)
- Pink salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 cup mild olive oil or other oil (depends how thick you like it). Strongly flavoured oils will make it taste horrible, so choose wisely! If you can get bacon grease for half of the oil content – that is PERFECTION! I sometimes use part avocado oil.
- Find a tall jar that your stick blender/immersion blender fits into.
- Put the egg in the bottom of the jar and the other ingredients.
- Place the blade attachment in the bottom of the jar and start blending until mixture is smooth and pale and the oil has blended completely – you’ll know!
- Taste and make any adjustments to flavour. Add more or less oil depending on how thick you like your mayonnaise.
- Blend again if necessary.
- Store in an airtight jar in the fridge for about 2 weeks (I don’t know how long it lasts as it gets eaten pretty quickly in my house!)
OPTIONAL ADD-INS – This is a versatile mayonnaise, so have a play around with it! Why not mix it up a bit? Try these: add mustard, paprika, garlic, stevia, parsley, or rosemary. Stir through spring onions or fresh herbs at then end.
Add grated parmesan cheese and you have a Caesar salad dressing.
I use this in my egg salad amongst many other things!