- 1 kilo boneless chicken thighs or tenderloins
- 5 capsicum (any colour or combination of colours)
- 2 jalapenos (optional!)
- 2 onions (red or brown)
- 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning; purchase ready-made or make your own (see recipe below)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Lettuce leaves (instead of tortillas) optional
- To serve: lime wedges, coriander, diced tomato, grated cheese, guacamole, sour cream, salsa etc.
- Preheat oven to 220c. (Hot!)
- Prepare taco seasoning if making your own.
- Slice the capsicum and onions into strips.
- Slice the jalapeños into thin rounds (with or without seeds and membrane)
- Spray or brush a large baking tray or dish with oil.
- Add the capsicum, onions, and chicken. They must be in a single layer, not piled up (or they will steam and be soggy). *SEE NOTE*
- Sprinkle taco seasoning on top and then drizzle with olive oil. Use tongs to toss and make sure everything is covered well.
- Bake for for about 30 minutes, stirring once half way through.
- Serve using the lettuce leaves to hold everything together and top with whatever you like! You can also serve these like ‘fajita bowls’ and just load everything up!
If your tray/dish is too small to spread the mixture out thinly you can cook on two trays at the same time.
This is great to prepare ahead of time and keep in the fridge for a day or so until you’re ready to cook it.
Taco Seasoning Ingredients (this is to make a BULK lot) Recipe makes a bit over 1 cup.
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour (optional but helps to thicken)
- 1/8 cup himalayan rock salt
- 1 Tbsp. black pepper
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. paprika
- 1/2 Tbsp. onion powder
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 – 1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper (use less for less heat!)
- 1 Tbsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 Tbsp. raw cacao powder
Taco Seasoning Method:
- Combine VERY WELL in a bowl.
- Store in an airtight jar.