• 3 cups blanched almond flour/meal
• 1/2 cup whey protein powder (I used vanilla flavoured)
• 2 tsp. baking powder
• 1/4 tsp. salt
• 1/2 cup butter softened
• 3/4 cup xylitol or Natvia
• 4 large eggs room temperature
• 1 tsp. vanilla extract
• 1/2 cup milk alternative (I used almond) unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 180C and spray 2 round cake pans with coconut oil. (I used silicone pans)
- Combine almond flour, protein powder, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, mix butter with sweetener until light and fluffy (I used a hand mixer).
- Beat in eggs, vanilla extract and milk.
- Fold half of the almond flour mixture and then add the remaining almond flour mixture and stir until well combined.
- Divide mixture between the 2 cake pans and smooth the top.
- Bake about 20 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges and the top is just firm to the touch.
- Remove and leave to cool in the pan befreo transferring to wire cooling rack. I put mine in the fridge to speed up the process.
- Top with frosting (your favorite recipe or the one below)
- 250 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 – 2 Tbsp. Xylitol or Natvia
- Place all ingredients in a medium sized bowl and beat until light and fluffy.