Bacon and Butter Brussels Sprouts
Brussel sprouts have such a bad reputation – and you know what? I think they may well have earned it all on their own. But, when you pair them up with their well mannered friends; garlic, butter and bacon, I think the reputation can be exonerated, don’t you? As we get older, our taste buds change, so even if you really really didn’t like them as a child, you might love them now! And just because you don’t like them, it doesn’t meant the same for your kids. I know lots of kids who just love taking them to school in their lunch box! Try it – get the kids to try it .. and just see what happens.
- 500g fresh Brussels sprouts, rinsed, trimmed and halved
- 2 rashers streaky bacon
- 1/2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp. butter/ghee (or fat/oil of your choice)
- 1 small brown onion, peeled and diced
- Pink salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Place a saucepan with steamer on the stove and bring the water to a boil. Add the Brussels sprouts to the steamer, cover and steam for 2 to 3 minutes or until bright green and tender (poke it with a fork).
- In a large frying pan, warm the butter/ghee/oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the bacon and onion and cook until bacon is crisp and onions are translucent. Just before it’s done, add the garlic and cook, stirring being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the steamed brussels sprouts and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle with the salt and pepper to taste, and continue to cook on medium-high heat until the brussels sprouts brown slightly, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve.