Who doesn’t love silverside? It’s one of our family favourites, which made me determined to come up with a healthy recipe. Reading the list of ingredients on the packet was a little scary. Some say they are made with 35% of a ‘solution’, most are injected with salt water, others contain toxic oils, preservatives, yeast extracts, synthetic and genetically modified additives, sodium nitrate and the list goes on. And while it may seem like a cheaper option (by weight), once cooked you will find the meat often shrinks significantly as the water seeps out. I sure don’t want to be feeding that to my family on a regular basis!
This recipe is easy to make, tastes just like regular silverside, and the best part is that it contains none of the hidden nasties you will find in the store bought ones! My kids were very impressed. (which is my goal in life! lol)
Don’t worry about the sugar, there’s almost nothing left by the time it reaches your plate 🙂
- 1 1/2 kilos of beef roast/brisket
- 2 litres filtered water
- 1 cup pink salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. mustard seeds
- 1 whole cinnamon stick (or ground cinnamon)
- 10-15 whole cloves
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp. dried coriander leaves
- 2 Tbsp. minced/crushed garlic
- 1 whole head of garlic, peeled with cloves smashed (optional – but we love garlic!)
- 1 cup of juice from sauerkraut made with purple cabbage (optional but adds the pink colour)
- Fill a large saucepan with the water and add salt and sugar. Stir over medium heat until salt and sugar is dissolved.
- Add other ingredients (except meat and sauerkraut juice) and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat and cool (must be completely COLD before adding meat).
- Add sauerkraut juice to liquid.
- Place meat in a large ziplock bag and fill with liquid. (Meat must be completely submerged).
- Place bag in a large bowl (in case of leaks) and refrigerate for between 5-7 days.
- Pour liquid into slow cooker and add beef.
- Slow cook for 6-8 hours in liquid on low as you would any normal silverside.
- Serve with veggies and cauliflower mash.