When I noticed a whole bunch of parsnips on special for $1.00, I couldn’t just leave them on the shelf! So they came home along with all the other things I had tried to cram into my 2 shopping bags; I only took 2 as I wasn’t planning on buying much. I’m sure we all know how that generally turns out!
When I got home and opened the second fridge in the laundry to start putting things away, I noticed 1/2 a gigantic pumpkin still in there that needed using up. Parsnip Pumpkin Soup was the result! I had a bag of carrots, so one of them landed in the mix as well.
This is very, very tasty soup. I whipped it up in the thermomix and popped it into a container in the fridge for when we get home from boxing tonight. A super simple dinner for us – reheat and enjoy! I’ll probably make some 2 Minute Bread for us to have with it (toasted and dripping with butter ..mmm…)
I also made a bit extra for my son who lives aroud the corner. I sleep a little easier at night knowing he has nutritious food in his belly (and extra in his fridge!).
Try it and let me know what you think! 🙂
Please keep in mind that parsnips are quite high in carbs, so take this into account if you are keeping your carb intake quite low.
- 2 brown onions, peeled and halved
- 2 garlic cloves
- 50g butter
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. dried coriander leaves (optional)
- 2 tsp. mild curry powder
- 1 Tbsp. turmeric powder
- 400g butternut pumpkin, peeled and chopped
- 350g parsnip diced (peeled if older)
- 450g chicken broth (or stock)
- 450g water
- 100-150g pure cream
- Pink salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chop onion and garlic on speed 6 for 4 seconds
- Add butter. Sauté at 100C on speed 2 for 2 mins
- Add cumin, turmeric, coriander and curry powder and cook at 100C on speed 2 for 2 mins.
- Add veggies and chop at speed 6 for 7 seconds.
- Add water and broth/stock and cook at 100C for 20 mins at speed 2.
- Separate mixture into 2 jugs (if jug is too full which mine was)
- Blend the first half of the mixture by gadually increasing the speed from 1-9 over about 90 seconds.
- Add cream, salt and pepper to season and cook for a further 5 mins on speed 3 at 90.
- Repeat with the second half.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in fridge.
- For dairy free, replace butter wth oil and cream with coconut cream