I’m dairy free for a while (my naturopath’s idea) and I have an egg allergy. Argh, My life is over! Or is it? No, it just means I have to be a bit more creative when coming up with recipes! Like this one. Firstly I swapped out the cream for coconut milk and made it dairy-free. And then I decided that eating eggs really isn’t worth risking the inflammation that can lead to auto-immune disease later in life.
So – I’m going egg-free until I can heal my gut and defeat my egg allergy! I’m hoping it won’t take more than 6 months, but I have heard it can take up to 2 years. Patience ….!
So, here’s something I never thought I’d say ‘an egg-free, dairy-free custard recipe’! 🙂
It is thickened with arrowroot flour, so watch the carb count (add recipe into myfitnesspal to calculate)
- 50 grams xylitol (more if you like it sweeter, less if you don’t)
- 25 grams arrowroot powder (use more for a thicker custard, less for thinner)
- 500 grams coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 40 grams of water (for a thinner custard, leave out for a really thick one!)
- Place xylitol into TM bowl and mill 10 sec at speed 10
- Add remaining ingredients and cook 6 mins at 90c on speed 4.
- If you want to use eggs add 2 and subtract 10g less arrowroot flour
- Add some raw cacao for chocolate, coconut custard
- Add a scoop of Adrenal Switch in for a stress-busting custard (I love the chocolate flavour! Just be sure NOT to add sweeter as the Adrenal Switch is already sweet)